Employers & Public Liability Claim Notification Guidelines

Key Message to Clients:

Our message to you is that actual or potential claims need to be notified quickly to give Insurers as much time as possible to investigate and respond within the MoJ timelines.

What Needs To Be Notified?

In line with the policy wording you should notify Insurers of any incident that could give rise to a claim. As such, Insurers require details of all incidents and / or accidents at work which need to be recorded under Reporting of Injuries, Diseases and Dangerous Occurrences (RIDDOR) entries as soon as possible. In addition to RIDDOR entries you need to notify the following:

  • All formal claims

  • Any incident where the injured person is not represented by solicitors but has made contact directly with the insured seeking compensation

  • Head injuries involving hospitalisation

  • All falls from height

  • Any bone injury e.g. fractures and breakages

  • Other serious injuries e.g. amputations, degloving, burns

  • Fatalities

  • Accidents involving minors and vulnerable adults

  • Accidents which result in scarring

  • Accidents resulting in admission to hospital or where ongoing medical treatment is being sought

  • Any incident involving a HSE investigation

  • All requests for disclosure of information from a solicitor

  • All accidents where the emergency services attend

  • Accidents where the employee leaves employment shortly afterwards or where redundancy notices are subsequently served on the employee

  • As well as accidents and injuries you should notify any incident where there is substantial damage to Third Party or your customers property which you have caused or have been accused of causing.


The above list is not exhaustive and serves merely as a guide. If you are uncertain as to whether or not you should notify an incident to your Insurers please discuss this with Darwin Clayton.

For the full information bulletin, please click here...