July 2021 – Brexit and Green Cards

In December 2020, we notified you that all Commercial Motor policyholders who intended to travel to the EU after 1st January 2021 needed a Green Card.

We’re now pleased to confirm that with effect from 2nd August 2021 the UK will be part of the ‘Free Circulation Area’.

To allow sufficient time for the agreement to be adopted throughout the EU and to avoid inconvenience to UK policyholders, you will need to continue to arrange for a Green Card to be issued and carry one with you for at least a month.

From 2nd September 2021 policyholders will no longer be required to carry a Green Card when travelling to/through a country that’s a member of the European community or that’s agreed to follow the EU Directive.

Although a Green Card will no longer be required to travel, policyholders will still need to take their Certificate of Motor Insurance as evidence of their insurance.

What do you need to do if planning to travel between now and 2nd September?

You must continue to contact us to request a Green Card, with as much advance notice as possible. Green Card requests should include the following information:

  • Dates of travel
  • Names of drivers
  • Countries travelling to/through
  • Vehicle make, model & registration
  • Details of any trailers and VIN numbers as these will require their own Green Card.

And as a reminder:

If you are planning travel that needs a Green Card, an electronic copy or email of a Green Card isn’t acceptable evidence of insurance. This won’t be recognised by foreign authorities.

Insurers still need to be informed of intended travel to ensure full cover is in place – please refer to the relevant policy wording.

Don’t forget, following changes to the Green Card system on 1st July 2020, Green Cards no longer need to be green. Black and white printed documents are valid in participating EU countries. 

For more information on driving abroad visit https://www.gov.uk/vehicle-insurance/driving-abroad

Related Articles.